Thursday, January 10, 2008
Wholemeal / White Bread
I cooked fish curry for lunch. And every time we had curry for meal, my son have to have it with bread.
Being too lazy to make a trip to the nearest groceries store, so I baked one.
I got the recipe from some online recipe site, make some changes, and voila…bread for the family.
Even though the recipe said ‘white bread’, mine was brownish… ☺ ..I used whole meal bread flour instead of the regular high-protein flour…. Need me to remind us all of the 2007 resolution??-eat healthily, add more fiber in our diet. ☺
I halved the recipe, baked only one loaf.
* 2 cups warm water (45 degrees C)
* 1/4 cup white sugar
* 1 1/2 tablespoons active dry yeast
* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
* 1/4 cup vegetable oil
* 6 cups bread flour
1. In a large bowl, dissolve the sugar in warm water, and then stir in yeast. Allow to proof until yeast resembles a creamy foam. (about 10minutes)
2. Mix salt and oil into the yeast. Mix in flour one cup at a time. Knead dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth. Place in a well oiled bowl, and turn dough to coat. Cover with a damp cloth. Allow to rise until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
3. Punch dough down. Knead for a few minutes, and divide in half. Shape into loaves, and place into two well oiled 9x5 inch loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes, or until dough has risen 1 inch above pans.
4. Bake at 175 degrees C for 30 minutes.